The Chow chow breed was originated in Northern China, where it is known a ‘puffy lion dog’ in their language as ‘Songshi Quan.
Chow chow dog price in India
Chow chow dog price in India ranges from 2 lakh to 5 lakh.
- It is sturdily built, with a square profile, a broad skull and small, triangular, erect ears with rounded tips.
- It is known for its dense double coat, which can be either smooth or rough.
- It has a distinctive ruff and mane appearance due to a thick fur at coat around his neck.
- It is found in shaded/self red, black, blue, cinnamon/ fawn or cream colour. But all colours are not found valid in all countries. If any dog is patchy or multicoloured then that is considered out from the breed standard.
- Its eyes are almond-shaped and typically deep-set.
- It has a unique blue-black/ purple tongue that makes him different from all. The colour of its tongue extends to his lips, making it the only dog with bluish lips and oral cavity (other dogs have black or a piebald shade pattern skin in their mouth).
- Its hind legs are straight, resulting in rather stilted gait.
- Another distinctive feature of Chow Chow breed is his curled tail that has thick hairs on it and lies over the back.
- They are most commonly pet dogs. They tend to reflect discernment strangers and can act fiercely protective to their owner and property. The American Kennel Club (AKC ) standard considered an all – too aggressive or all – too timid chow chow as unacceptable. For the same, few owners attributed cat-like traits to their Chow-chow.
- They are not excessively active thus they can be easily housed in an apartment. But there too they will require some exercise or games or training to stay apart from restlessness or boredom. On realizing regular occurrence of exercises chow chow will anticipate even more with the owner.
Generally, all dogs are friendly with their family and relatives but chow chow tends to be more protective to any one or two members especially.
- Being quiet and well behave is this breed’s nature which sometimes helps him as resistant to exercise and attach to someone as they grow. This is why their training as a puppy makes them crucial because they gain huge respect for those who cares for this doggo.
- This breed can also be very aggressive so to avoid that state their proper socialization should be done as soon as possible to allow him to adjust with ease. If their owner fails to get his admiration then at time when he reaches adolescence, he rejects any authority over him.
We can expect a chow chow to live from 11 to 13 years.
They can be 17 to 22 inches tall with a weight from 35 to 85 in females and 40 to 90 in males.
They require more grooming especially in spring and autumn seasons as they shed more fur in these two seasons, otherwise, moderate grooming is sufficient.